Our school is delighted to announce that we are hosting a trip to the south of France this fall! Open to anyone and everyone, this is your chance to travel to the homeland of the brilliant Auguste Escoffier and experience true French cuisine. Dine on magnificent foods, tour the Cote d’ Azur, visit the Auguste Escoffier Museum and learn more about the culinary arts of France with your host Chef Michel Bouit-President, Disciples Escoffier International USA.
Cherry-Almond Clafouti recipe from Bon Appetit
- 1/2 cup whole almonds (about 2 ounces)
- 1 1/4 cups whole milk
- 1 tablespoon plus 1/2 cup sugar
- 8 ounces dark sweet cherries, pitted, halved (about 2 cups)
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- Pinch of salt
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- Powdered sugar
- In a food processor, blend almonds into a flour. Do not blend so much that it becomes pasty. In a small saucepan, bring your milk to a simmer. Stir in your almond flour, remove from heat and allow to steep for 30 minutes. Remove liquid by straining through a piece of cheesecloth or a fine mesh strainer. Discard your solids and reserve your almond milk for later use.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Butter a 10 inch glass pie dish and sprinkle one tablespoon of sugar into the dish. Evenly distribute your cherries over the sugar.
- Beat your eggs, almond extract, salt and remaining ½ cup sugar in a mixer until fully blended. Mix in the almond milk you made in the first step. Sift flour into mixture and beat until combined. Pour this mixture over your cherries and bake until done, about 30 minutes. Cool completely before serving. Praise France!