By Laura Roberts
Bon Appetit Magazine has a list of 15 Ways to Use Avocados, as if good old-fashioned guacamole just isn’t good enough for people anymore. We at Escoffier Austin beg to differ, having consumed our weight in guacamole over the years. Still, the magazine does have a point with #8: avocados are great on toast with eggs!
As a big fan of this creamy, green fruit, I like to use avocados in all my Tex-Mex creations—from tacos to salad bowls to quesadillas, and even as a dip for tortilla chips. But since I usually have at least two avocados on hand at all times, occasionally I engage in some experimentation. The results have yielded such tasty treats as Scrambled Eggs with Avocado, or the time-honored grilled cheese kicked up a notch with a little green gold.
To make a really outstanding grilled cheese sandwich, try adding a little avocado with this simple recipe for Green Grilled Cheese. You’ll never go back to those plasticky “cheese” slices again!
Green Grilled Cheese
- 1 avocado
- Rye or pumpernickel bread
- White cheddar cheese
- Scoop your avocado out onto a plate, and mash into a nice thick paste
- Shred cheddar cheese and place on top of bread.
- Insert cheddar-topped bread into your toaster oven, and toast until cheese is slightly browned.
- Remove toast (carefully!) from the toaster oven, and spread avocado onto each piece.
- Enjoy sandwiches open faced or put two halves of the bread together to create a creamy, cheesy, avocado-y taste sensation!