Hungry for more? Attend Holiday Candy Making this Saturday.
Fluffy Marshmallows Recipe:
Yields one 9×13-inch pan
3 envelopes (2 ½ Tbs.) unflavored Knox gelatin
½ cup cold water (can add 1-2 Tbs. more water, if needed)
2 cups (14 oz.) granulated sugar
2/3 cups (6 ¾ oz.) corn syrup
¼ cup water
¼ teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
Confectioner’s sugar for dusting & dredging
1. Line a 13x9x2-inch pan with aluminum foil so that there is some edge. Spray with non-stick spray, or your marshmallows will stick.
2. In the bowl of an electric mixer, sprinkle gelatin over ½ cup cold water. Let soak for 10 minutes.
3. Combine sugar, corn syrup, and ¼ cup water in a saucepan. Bring to a boil and let boil for 1 minute. (250°F or 120°C)
4. Pour boiling syrup into gelatin. Gradually increase speed until you are mixing at high speed. Add in salt and beat for about 12 minutes. Add in vanilla and mix until incorporated.
5. Pour into lined pan, scrapping sides with a rubber spatula. Cover with another pan (equal in size) so that the marshmallows are covered, but can dry slightly. Let sit for at least 3 hours or overnight.
6. Using a sifter, sprinkle powdered sugar in a thick layer over the top. Place a cutting board over the top and invert. Carefully peel back aluminum foil. Sprinkle generously with powdered sugar, cut into squares (or use a festive cookie cutter) and enjoy!
© Copyright Auguste Escoffier School of Culinary Arts