These sweet and spicy cupcakes with crowns of citrus cream cheese frosting make the perfect holiday treat.
Yields: 12 – 24 cupcakes, depending on size
1 cup light brown sugar, firmly packed
½ cup butter, melted and cooled
½ cup vegetable oil
1 cup molasses
2 large eggs
1 cup buttermilk
1 tsp. vanilla extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 Tbsp. cinnamon
2 tsp. ground ginger
1 tsp. ground nutmeg
1 tsp. baking soda
¼ tsp. salt
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a muffin pan with paper liners.
- In the bowl of a mixer, combine sugar, butter, oil and molasses. Mix to combine.
- Add in eggs, buttermilk and vanilla. Mix to combine.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, spices, baking soda and salt. Whisk to combine.
- Slowly add in flour mixture and mix until smooth.
- Divide batter into muffin pan. Bake for 20-25 minutes, rotating pan half way.
- Remove from oven and let cool in pan for at least 10 minutes. Transfer cakes to a cooling rack to let cool completely.
Citrus Cream Cheese Frosting
8 oz. cream cheese, at room temperature
½ cup butter, at room temperature
2 cups confectioner’s sugar
1 tsp. orange or lemon zest
- Using a mixer, beat cream cheese and butter at medium speed until smooth.
- Slowly add in the confectioner’s sugar and citrus zest and mix on medium-high speed 3-5 minutes or until fluffy.
Transfer frosting into a piping bag fitted with desired tip. Pipe the frosting on top of each cupcake.
© Copyright Auguste Escoffier School of Culinary Arts
If you are interested in attending Culinary or Pastry School, contact our campuses for more information:
1.866.552.2433 Austin Campus1.877.249.0305 Boulder Campus