Palisade Peaches are here! Take advantage of the end of summer’s bounty by making this chutney and saving some for the winter. It is wonderful with any grilled chicken or pork, or served simply with baguette and cheese.
- 1 cinnamon stick, broken in half
- 4 green cardamom pods
- 3 cloves
- 1 tablespoon yellow mustard seeds
- 1 1/2 -inch piece ginger, peeled and cut into -1/8 by–1/8 by- * -inch pieces
- 1 fresh green chili, cut in half
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cider or white-wine vinegar
- 2 cups orange juice
- 2 pounds peaches (about 5 medium), peeled, pitted and cut into quarters
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, plus more to taste
1. Place the cinnamon, cardamom and cloves on a square of cheesecloth and tie with kitchen twine.
2. Place the sachet in a 6-quart saucepan with the mustard seeds, ginger, chili, maple syrup, vinegar and orange juice.
3. Bring to a boil and simmer for 5 minutes.
4, Add the peaches and gently simmer on medium-low heat until the peaches are very tender and the liquid thickens enough to coat the back of a spoon, about 60 to 75 minutes.
5. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer to a heatproof container to cool. Refrigerate or can.