Auguste Escoffier School of Culinary Arts is proud to present the 2023 Young Escoffier High School Virtual Culinary Scholarship Competition! Contestants have the opportunity to compete for 30 scholarships totaling $65,000. All registered participants who submit photos of their work will be awarded a $500 scholarship toward an education at Escoffier.
Contestants will be asked to make a savory or sweet dish and upload a series of photos of their work for consideration. Submissions will be accepted from Wednesday, March 1 – Friday, April 14, 2023.
Scholarship Competition Details and Eligibility:
This contest is open to high school students graduating in 2023 or 2024 (seniors or juniors) who are interested in attending Auguste Escoffier School of Culinary Arts (Residential or Distance Learning Programs). Students must enroll and start by October 2023 if they are a 2023 high school graduate or by October 2024 if they are a 2024 high school graduate.
The contestant must be a minimum of 16 years of age before enrolling at Escoffier.
Scholarships Will Be Distributed As Follows*:
1. All registered participants who submit photos of their work will receive a $500 scholarship toward an education at Escoffier.**
2. Winners selected:
- 1st place – $3,000 Scholarship (10 chosen participants selected)
- 2nd place – $2,000 Scholarship (10 chosen participants selected)
- 3rd place – $1,500 Scholarship (10 chosen participants selected)
**Students receiving a winners scholarship will receive this in addition to the participant scholarship
Step 1: Create one dish from one of the two categories: Sweet or Savory. (Menu selection below)
Step 2: Take 3 photos that illustrate your dish in the following stages:
- Mise en Place (gathering and preliminary preparation of the ingredients)
- In process (include photo of dish midway through)
- Finish plated dish on round white plate
Step 3: Contestants must fill out our registration form, submit 3 photos from step 2, and add a title and description of your final dish via our submission form. Submissions will be accepted from Wednesday, March 1 – Friday, April 14, 2023.
>>You can fill out the form by clicking here!
*For added fun, but not required, share your photos with us on instagram by tagging @escoffierschools
Deadline for entry is April 14, 2023 by 11:59 pm CT.
Dish 1 Option – Savory (Culinary Dish): Grilled Entree Steak* with Glazed Carrots and Roasted Potatoes
- Should be plated on a round, 10″, plain white plate
- Entree Steak*: Grill marks observable, properly executed technique to ensure even cooking and appropriate portion size
- Vegetable: Glazed carrots – Oblique cut, seasoned, sheen should be present on finished product, slight caramelization on carrots encouraged
- Starch: Roasted red potatoes – Cut into quarters, seasoned, appropriate herbs encouraged, finished product should show clear signs of the roasting process
- Finished plate should exhibit height, use of negative space, and edible garnish if used. Judges should be able to see all components in the picture submitted.
Dish 2 Option- Sweet (Pastry Dish): Chocolate Mousse*
- Served in clear cup or parfait glass (so judges can evaluate the consistency)
- Proper color
- Proper consistency – Airy, ingredients blended completely, smooth
- Identifiable piping
- Appropriate, edible garnish(es)
*Plant-Based options and recipe ingredients are acceptable
Dishes will be judged according to the following criteria:
Winners will be determined by a panel of chef judges from our academics team.
Scholarship winners will be notified via email by April 28, 2023. In order to be notified, please include a personal email address on the submission form.
Rights in Submissions:
By entering the 2023 Young Escoffier High School Virtual Culinary Competition, each participant hereby grants to Auguste Escoffier School of Culinary Arts or its designee a license to use or publish submission photos without any further right of approval by or compensation to the participant. Winners may be required to share progress during and after their education with Auguste Escoffier School of Culinary Arts on how the scholarship affected their path.
*Scholarships are disbursed to a student’s account over the course of a student’s enrollment in their program of choice, not to be applied in one payment. Students must remain actively enrolled in the program of their choice to receive monthly scholarship payment. Institutional scholarships cannot create a credit balance for stipends.
For questions please contact Krishna Mitchell at 512.364.5617 or email [email protected]