How can you make mac and cheese even more luxurious and indulgent than it already is? By adding lobster, of course! Inspired by one of the East Coast’s most popular restaurant items, our lobster mac and cheese combines all our favorite things of the staple American dish like rich gooey cheese and stick to your teeth noodles. But the real money maker in this dish is the lobster-which brings an extra element of buttery richness. If you can’t find fresh lobster tails, frozen and thawed works just as well. Just remember to slightly cook them before adding them in! If you want to go the extra mile, you can baste them in some clarified butter throw them in the oven a la a traditional lobster tail bake. To learn how to make this great all-year round dish in this culinary courses video. We’ll take you through all the steps so everything comes out perfectly!
½ pound elbow macaroni
½ qt milk
½ stick unsalted butter, cut into tablespoon portions
¼ cup AP flour
2 cups grated gruyere
1 cup grated cheddar
¼ tsp black pepper
1/8 tsp cayenne
2 lobster tails, thawed and cooked
¾ cup panko bread crumbs
1. Cook pasta according to package. Drain, cool and set aside.
2. Preheat oven to 375F.
3. Once preheated, add in lobster tails meat side down in greased dish and bake for about 10 minutes.
4. Heat milk on low in a small saucepan. In a large saucepan, melt 2 tablespoons of the butter and gradually add in the flour. Cook over low heat for about 2 minutes, whisking the entire time.
5. Continuing to whisk, add the hot milk gradually. Cook for a minute or two more until the mixture has thickened and smoothed, then remove from heat.
6. Add in the gruyere, cheddar salt, pepper and cayenne. Then add in the lobster meat and macaroni and stir well, making sure the cheese mixture coats everything well.
7. Add the mixture to a large baking dish or into about 8 individual ramekins.
8. Sprinkle breadcrumbs on top of prepared baking dish(es).
9. Cook for about 30 minutes in the oven or until the cheese is bubbling and the tops are browned. Serve hot and enjoy!