The pumpkin spice craze may be crazier than ever, and boy, are we onboard. What’s not to love about the immaculate blend of sugar and spice to elevate your autumn experience? If you’re bored of your everyday pumpkin spice favorites and are looking for a challenge, these macarons are calling your name. Light, airy and perfectly pumpkin spice, they’ll have you instantly falling in love with this seasonal sweet.
Learn how to make them with our online pastry arts school instructor in this step-by-step tutorial. If you’ve ever been intimidated to try your hand at making macarons, now is your chance!
Pumpkin Spice Macarons
110 g egg whites
210 g powdered sugar
125 g almond meal
40 g regular granulated sugar
¾ teaspoon cinnamon
¼ teaspoon ground all-spice, ginger, clove, nutmeg
1. Sift the powdered sugar and spices, mix with the almond flour.
2. Whisk whites and sugar with a mixer on medium speed until thick. Increase speed to medium high and whisk until medium peaks form.
3. Fold the four mixture into the egg whites until mixture is smooth and shiny, press on the side of the bowl a few times to remove excessive air.
4. Pipe 1-inch rounds and leave sit for 1 hour before baking at 320 degrees for about 17 minutes until set and the cookies begin to brown
Pumpkin Buttercream Icing
6 oz confectioner’s sugar
½ teaspoon cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon nutmeg and ground cloves
4 oz Butter
2 oz. pumpkin puree
1. Bring the butter to room temperature
2. Sift the confectioner’s sugar and spices
3. Place softened butter in a bowl and gradually add the sugar. Cream together with a wooden spoon or using an electric mixer until well aerated and whitish in color
4. Add the pumpkin puree beat until smooth. Scrape down the sides to ensure all ingredients are incorporated
Note: Extracts and variations on spices can be added, pumpkin pie spice can be used in place of the individual spices used. To assemble the macarons, let the cookies cool and pair cookies of the same size together. Pipe the buttercream onto the bottom of the cookie and then gently sandwich together.