As the weather gets warmer, many fruits and vegetables are in their prime season. In addition, our bodies crave the fresh and natural foods made from the garden when summers rolls around. As for purchasing these fresh ingredients, you’re in luck no matter where you are. Some of us can run down to our local grocery store, but there are other options. Whether you’re in culinary school in Texas or Colorado, farmers markets are taking the U.S. by storm, making it easy to get the best products to create amazing cuisine.
But what about delicious drinks? Smoothies are no longer just yogurt, fruit and ice. They contain beautiful mixtures of fresh produce to create healthy and delightful treats. Here are some recipes that incorporate fresh produce into your smoothies.
Beet and strawberry smoothie
You may have heard of a beet and strawberry salad, but make sure not to sleep on a beet and strawberry smoothie. Because beets are such an earthy-flavored vegetables, they are sometimes difficult to convince people to eat, until now. This smoothie will make you wonder why you’ve been avoiding beets all along. The secret to this smoothie is roasted beets, which are easier and more delicious than you may think. Here are the ingredients you need:
- 2 cups strawberries
- 1 cup plain whole milk yogurt
- 2 tablespoons raw honey
- 1 banana
- 1/2 cup roasted beets (see instructions)
1. Preheat the oven to 375ºF.
2. Trim the tops and tails off the beets and cut in half. Place on a large sheet of foil.
3. Drizzle beets with olive oil and cover with the remaining foil.
4. Bake for about an hour and allow to cool.
5. Peel the skin off.
6. Blend all the ingredients together in a blender on high for a couple minutes to allow the smoothie to mix well and evenly.
Carrot, coconut and orange
This smoothie combines three ingredients you wouldn’t normally throw together. The juices from these popular produce items create a light and breezy liquid that can help you start off your day right. The orange will give you vitamin C, while the carrots provide the antioxidant beta-carotene. All the while, the coconut will provide that tropical juice taste. The ingredients for recipe are:
- 2-3 cubes of frozen carrot and coconut
- juice from 2 oranges
- 1/2 scoop of your favorite protein powder for that extra punch
Blend well and enjoy!
Spinach Smoothie with Avocado
You may have seen people drinking a green smoothie and wondered what’s actually in it. Adding leafy greens to your smoothie is the best way to pack that extra flavorful punch? punch. This recipe combines plenty of green produce to provide you with a delicious blend of vitamins and antioxidants. The ingredients are:
- 1 1/2 cup of apple juice
- 2 cups of stemmed and chopped spinach (or you can substitute kale)
- 1 apple unpeeled, cores
- 1/2 of an avocado chopped
Combine all the ingredients into a blender and puree until smooth. This usually takes about a minute. Make sure to add water to reach your desired consistency.