If you ask most Americans what their favorite pie is, we bet Key Lime is amongst the top responses. We’re not sure what it is about this sweet and tangy concoction that has so many people in love, but we agree, this pie is something special. And guess what? It’s also a cinch to make at home on national pie day! Our online culinary school pastry chef created a simple version using sweetened condensed milk, fresh key lime juice, eggs and a classic graham cracker crust with a twist. And don’t forget to try our special whipped cream as a garnish!
Key Lime Pie
9 oz graham cracker meal
½ cup brown sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
4 oz melted butter
1. Mix the graham cracker, cinnamon and brown sugar. Mix in the melted butter until the mixture holds its shape when pressed in the hand. Press into a 9-inch shallow pie pan and bake at 350 degrees for about 8 minutes until set. Cool before adding the filling.
5 egg yolks
24 oz sweetened condensed milk
¾ cup lime juice
1 drop food-grade green dye (optional)
1. Pour into prepared pie pan and bake at 350 degrees until set-about 16-18 minutes
2. Cool and refrigerate until well chilled.
Whipped Cream Ingredients
1 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
½ cup sugar
1 cup sour cream
Whipped Cream Directions
1. Whip the cream until firm and then fold in the sour cream.
2. Using a piping bag, pipe whipped cream mixture on top and garnish as desired.