One of our favorite flavor combinations gets the ultimate pancake breakfast makeover. You know what we’re talking about: Nutella and bananas. The richness of the beloved chocolate and hazelnut spread mixed with everyone’s favorite fruit get stuffed into big and fluffy pancakes. Want to know our top secret Colorado culinary school trick? By freezing your Nutella dollops on some wax paper until firm, throwing them on the cooking batter, topping with more and flipping, you get a nice big pancake literally overflowing with ooey, gooey goodness. So, pull up your pajama sleeves and dig into this super duper easy recipe for these Nutella and banana stuffed pancakes.
NUTELLA & BANANA STUFFED PANCAKES
1 jar Nutella
2 cups AP flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tbsp sugar
1 ½ to 2 cups milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
3 tbsp butter, melted
1 banana, sliced thinly into discs
Pinch of salt
1. On a baking tray lined with parchment paper, smear 1 tablespoon of Nutella in a circle about 2 inches wide. Repeat until 6 discs have been made. Place parchment in freezer for about one hour or until the Nutella is completely frozen and peels easily from parchment paper. Keep them in the freezer until you’re ready to use them.
2. Whisk together the dry ingredients into a bowl. Make a well in the center and add in the wet ingredients, reserving two tablespoons of the melted butter. Whisk the wet and dry together until combined and lump free. Do not overmix.
3. Drizzle some of the melted butter over a griddle or frying pan.
4. Add about ¼ cup of batter to the griddle in one spot and another ¼ cup batter to another. Quickly add in a couple of slices of banana and grab a Nutella disc from freezer for the pancake, then top with a little more batter-enough so the Nutella is covered. Cook for about a minute, or until bubbles start to form around the edges. Be careful to not flip the pancake too early. Cook the other side for about 30 seconds or until golden brown. Remove each pancake to a plate and repeat until all the Nutella discs have been used.
5. Garnish with powdered sugar, drizzled Nutella and more banana slices.