Pumpkin Upside Down Apple Cake with Maple Bourbon Glaze captures the best of the season with its sweet, spicy flavors reminiscent of a trip to the pumpkin patch and apple orchard all in one decadent dessert. Nutrient rich, pumpkin puree is the base for this dense cake batter spiced with cinnamon. Apples sautéed in maple syrup and butter are cooled slightly and placed first in the cake pan to lay the foundation for this inverted dessert. The key to this upside down cake’s success is scraping down the bowl to make sure ingredients are fully incorporated. Batter is poured over the apple slices and baked. Once the cake is completely cooled and flipped, the next layer of sweet maple bourbon glaze finishes it off to elevate all of the flavors.
Upside down cakes are a fun way to flip over seasonal flavors and beautifully plate sweet desserts that get noticed for flavor and presentation.
Check out more ideas for apple and pumpkin sweet desserts.
Maple Bourbon glazed Apple Pumpkin Cake
2 honey-crisp apples,
2 tablespoons butter
¾ cup maple syrup
- 1. Peel and core the apples and slice about ¼ inch thick.
2. Sautée the apple slices in the butter syrup mixture until soft set aside to cool.
3. Cover the bottom of a 10 inch pan with foil and spray with pan spray, arrange the apple slices, set aside the left over syrup.
For the cake:
1 cup pumpkin puree
1 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup oil
1½ cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1. Sift the all-purpose flour, cinnamon and baking soda.
2. In a bowl mix the pumpkin and sugar together and add the oil and then the eggs. Mix in the dry ingredients. Spread of the apples in the prepared pan. .
3. Bake at 350 degrees for about 25 minutes, or until the top springs back when touched or a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
4. Cool until just warm and invert.
For the glaze:
Take the leftover syrup and add 1 tablespoon butter and ¾ cup maple syrup, bring to a simmer over medium heat until the mixture starts to turn an amber color and thickens a bit. Remove the pan from the heat and very carefully add 1-2 tablespoons of bourbon. Cool the glaze until just warm spoon over the warm cake.