There are so many ways to use squash during autumn. With Escoffier Chef Instructor Scott Cohen’s Roasted Autumn Spaghetti Squash, this seasonal staple is the star of the show. This recipe of his includes Brussels sprouts, bacon, and lemon apple thyme butter sauce.
- 1 each Spaghetti squash, halved lengthwise, seeds removed
- ½ lb Brussels sprouts, stem end removed, and halved
- 4 each Double smoked bacon strips, cut to ¼“ lardons
- 3 each Thyme sprigs, leaves removed and chopped
- 4 oz Unsalted butter
- 2 oz Apple cider vinegar
- 1 each Apple, peeled, small dice
- 2 oz Dry white wine (Chardonnay, Sauvignon Blanc, etc)
- 2 each Thyme sprigs
- ½ each Lemon, juiced
- As needed Olive oil
- As needed Kosher salt
- As needed Black pepper, ground
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Brush the cut side of the squash lightly with olive oil. Season with salt and pepper. Place on a lightly oiled sheet pan, cut side down. Using a fork, pierce the skin of squash about 4 or 5 times to allow steam to get out when cooking.
- Place squash in the oven and roast for 40 minutes.
- Toss Brussels sprouts with oil, chopped thyme leaves, salt, and pepper, and place on a lightly oiled sheet pan, cut side down.
- Place Brussels sprouts in the oven and roast until golden brown – about 30 minutes.
- Remove squash from the oven, and allow it to cool enough to handle, but not fully to room temperature.
- Remove Brussels sprouts from the oven. Set aside and keep warm.
- Using a fork, gently scrape the pulp from the inside of the squash – it will resemble spaghetti. Set aside and keep warm.
- Heat a saute pan over medium heat.
- Cook bacon until golden brown. Using a slotted spoon, remove bacon and set it aside. Reserve fat for another use.
- In a saucepan, bring vinegar, white wine, and thyme sprigs to a boil. Reduce heat to low and reduce liquid until almost dry.
- Slowly whisk in butter 1 tsp at a time until it emulsifies as a sauce. Season with salt and pepper. Remove thyme sprigs.
- Add apples to the sauce. Set aside and keep warm.
- In a straight-sided saute pan, heat 3 oz of water and oil. Add spaghetti squash and stir to warm through.
- Add Brussels sprouts, lemon juice, and apple butter sauce.
- Serve in individual bowls, garnished with bacon and chopped thyme leaves.
Check out these recipes next: