Chef Colette Christian, Chef Instructor at Auguste Escoffier School of Culinary Arts shares how to make her light and velvety Nutella Semifreddo. This delectable dessert, great for the summer months, has the texture of a frozen mousse, and the main ingredients are egg yolks, sugar, cream, and of course Nutella!
The equipment you will need for this recipe is a stand or handheld mixer with whisk attachment, saucepan for double boiler, 2 heatproof bowls medium-sized, whisk and spatula, scale, and a loaf pan lined with plastic wrap.
- 1 ½ cups (340g) heavy cream – cold
- 4 large egg yolks
- ¼ cup (50g) sugar
- ¼ cup (57g) milk
- 4 ounces (113g) semi-sweet chocolate, chopped fine
- ½ cup Nutella or chocolate hazelnut spread
- 2 large egg whites at room temperature
- ¼ cup (50g) sugar
- Whip the cream to medium peaks and put in the refrigerator.
- Make the zabaglione – combine the egg yolks, sugar and milk over a double boiler and whisk constantly until the mixture thickens, it should almost double in volume. Remove the bowl from the heat. Turn down the heat if necessary and use a dry towel to take the bowl off the double boiler.
- Add the chocolate and nutella with a spatula. The mixture should be smooth. Set aside.
- In the bowl of the stand mixer, combine the egg whites and sugar. Whisk with a clean whisk until the mixture is 140 degrees. Remove from heat and attach the bowl to the mixer, fitted with the whisk attachment. Beat at medium speed for 1 minute and then increase the speed to high and beat for a few minutes until the mixture is light and fluffy.
- Fold the meringue into the zabaglione. Fold in the whipped cream until there are no streaks but the mixture is still light.
- Pour into the prepared loaf pan, level the top with an offset spatula if necessary, cover and freeze for 6 hours or overnight.
- Unmold and serve. Smooth out any wrinkles on the surface of the semifreddo with a heated (hot water and then wiped dry) offset spatula.
- Serve slices of semifreddo with a sauce of your choice or a fresh fruit garnish. The semifreddo will keep in the freezer for 2 weeks.
Check out these recipes next: