There’s nothing quite like the comforting aroma of freshly baked goods on Thanksgiving day to warm hearts and boost spirits.
Escoffier Chef Instructor Steve Konopelski has just the treat to bring to your Thanksgiving gathering this year thanks to his Pecan Pie Filling recipe he crafted when he was a contestant on Food Network’s Holiday Baking Championship, Sweet Revenge.
Use your favorite pie crust recipe with this delicious Pecan Pie Filling recipe!
(Yield one 9” pie)
- 400g (2 cups) light brown sugar
- 50g (1/4 cup) all purpose flour
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- 2 egg yolks, room temperature
- 500mL (2 cups) heavy cream
- 2 pinches kosher salt
- 225g (1 cup) roughly chopped pecans
- 1-2 tbsp grade A maple syrup
- 1 blind baked pie shell
1. Toss chopped pecans with enough maple syrup to coat. Spread nuts out onto a silicone-lined sheet pan and toast in a preheated 325° F (165°C) oven for 5-8 minutes or until nuts are fragrant.
2. Remove from heat and stir constantly with a spatula until nuts have cooled and have a matte finish (the sugars in the maple syrup will have crystallized). Allow nuts to cool slightly.
3. Meanwhile, combine flour, sugar, eggs, yolks, and salt in a medium-sized bowl or large measuring cup. Stir to combine, mixture will be thick.
4. Heat cream in a heavy-bottomed saucepan, bringing it almost to a boil. Stream heavy cream into the sugar mixture, blending with an immersion blender until well combined.
5. Sprinkle half of the pecans into the bottom of the blind-baked pie shell placed on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
6. Pour the custard into pie shell and top with the remaining pecans.
7. Bake pie in a preheated 350°F (175°C) oven until the custard has set and the pie wiggles, not giggles. If the edges of the crust begin to brown before the custard has set, lower the heat and cover the edges of the pie shell with aluminum foil.
8. Remove baked pie from heat and allow to cool completely. Pie may be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 4 days. Pie is best served slightly warmed with whipped cream.
Check out these recipes next: