Escoffier Chef Instructor Dan Bearss shares his favorite savory crepe recipe that is paired with creamy mornay sauce. This recipe makes for an exquisite breakfast or main course.
Table of Contents
- 1 ½ cups All Purpose Flour
- 2 each Eggs, beaten
- ¼ tsp Kosher Salt
- 2 cups Milk
- In a bowl whisk together all-purpose flour and salt.
- Whisk in the eggs and milk. The batter should be very thin and smooth.
- Heat a nonstick skillet or crepe pan over medium heat.
- Pour 1/3 cup into pan and tilt using a circular motion to create an even and thin crepe.
- Cook for about 1 ½-2 minutes until the sides of the crepe start to lift off the pan. Using a large rubber spatula, flip the crepe.
- Let it cook for one minute and move it to a large plate covered with a towel to keep warm.
- 6 oz Ham
- 1 each Yellow Onion
- 1 each Russet Potato
- 2 TBSP Olive Oil
- 2 each Green Onions, chopped
- Rinse and peel the potato and cut it into small dice.
- Cut ham and onion into small dice.
- In a skillet, turn to medium heat and add oil.
- Saute potatoes for 2 minutes and then add onions and ham. Cook until you achieve a light golden brown coloring.
- Reserve in bowl, warm, until crepes are ready to plate.
- 2 oz Butter, unsalted
- 2 oz All-Purpose Flour
- 1 quart Whole Milk
- 4 oz Gruyere Cheese, shredded
- 1 tsp Kosher Salt
- ¼ tsp White Pepper, ground
- Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Whisk in flour so that there are no lumps. Once smooth cook for 2 minutes.
- Slowly add in milk while whisking vigorously to combine with roux and milk into a smooth consistency.
- Bring liquid to a low simmer and stir constantly until it begins to thicken.
- The sauce should have a light nappe consistency when coating the back of a spoon.
- Mix in gruyere cheese and stir until the cheese is melted.
- Once the sauce is thick enough, remove it from the heat. Season with salt and white pepper.
- Reserve in a covered container in the refrigerator. Heat up the sauce before use.
- Plate with 2 crepes, a heaping scoop of potato mixture, and drizzle with mornay sauce. Garnish with green onions and enjoy!
Check out these recipes next: