½ cup brewed coffee
½ cup dried figs, finely chopped
2 tablespoons olive oil
6 shallots, thinly sliced
1 tablespoon packed brown sugar
½ teaspoon Chinese five-spice powder
2 teaspoons grated orange zest
2 tablespoons orange juice
Salt & pepper to taste
- In a small saucepan, bring coffee to boil and let reduce by half.
- Place chopped figs in a heat-proof bowl. Pour hot coffee over figs and let sit for 15 minutes.
- In a medium saucepan, heat olive oil and cook sliced shallots until translucent.
- Add in coffee, figs, spices, orange juice and zest.
- Bring to a simmer and let cook until the mixture is thick like jam.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper. Let cool before serving.