Culinary Arts, Baking and Pastry Arts, Plant-Based Culinary Arts, Holistic Nutrition & Wellness, and Hospitality & Restaurant Operations Management programs are all available online. Learn more about our online programs and the courses and curriculums for each.
Frequently Asked Questions
Which programs are offered online?
Are the programs 100% online?
Yes, all of the program classes and discussions are 100% online, but a hands-on industry externship in a professional kitchen is also required for graduation. This makes the programs a perfect fit for those with families, jobs, or other circumstances that wouldn’t allow attendance at a physical campus.
How do I learn culinary and pastry arts online?
Each week you will have a topic that will be broken down into 3 stages.
- Step 1: Learn – Each week will begin with your assigned chapters that you will read pertaining to the featured technique. You will have access to the step-by-step videos that are archived in your online student portal, so that you can see how to do the technique.
- Step 2: Discuss – You’ll be able to interact with Chef Instructors and other students in your weekly live sessions, as well as in the online discussion boards. If you need one-on-one assistance with a Chef Instructor, you can email, text, or set up a live video meeting.
- Step 3: Experience – With all your preparations done, you can now execute the technique by following our production sheet from start to finish, taking photos where instructed, and submitting your required documents for grading. Each week multiple recipes are included that relate to the topic and overall theme of each class.
For more information, visit our:
How do I get graded on my cooking assignments if the instructor is not there to see or taste anything?
Each of your cooking assignments will contain the steps listed below to ensure that you are getting accurate feedback and grading. Your Chef Instructor will include video feedback with each assignment. You can also schedule 1-on-1 time with your instructor.
Narrative – Submit a brief summary of the assignment (lessons learned, insights gained, triumphs and problems)
Submit Pictures – Each technique will have a list of pictures that you will submit with each assignment. For example: Your mise en place, a sanitation photo, a close up picture of your carrots showing proper knife cuts, a self identification photo in your Chef coat, or a picture of your food plated. Photos are taken at specific stages of the recipe each week to demonstrate that week’s technique.
Flavor Journal – Our program trains you extensively on creating your flavor profile, so you understand things like taste, aroma, and mouthfeel. For that reason, each submitted assignment includes a detailed explanation of the above characteristics of your dish.
Grading – After you’ve submitted your assignment, our Chef Instructors will carefully review your work and provide grading in the form of video feedback detailing your triumphs and areas of improvement. These videos are yours to keep and review as you see fit, during and after your education with Escoffier.
Are there certain times I have to participate in live class time?
Each week, students partake in scheduled live discussions through a video platform. You can also watch the recordings if you are unable to attend live.
Does your program include an internship or externship?
Diploma programs require a 6-week industry externship, and Associate degree programs require two 6-week externships. Our Career Services department can assist you in finding an establishment in your surrounding area where you will have the opportunity to gain real-world experience by applying everything you learned in the program in a professional kitchen.
How do I enroll?
You can apply for our programs online in just a few minutes. You can also contact our Admissions Department at 1-877-452-5489, and one of our admissions advisors will walk you through the short application process.
How much time per week is required to be successful?
Approximately 15-22 hours per week is spent on school-related activities depending on program, credential, and personal pace. This includes your studies as well as cooking assignments.
How long does it take to complete the online programs?
Culinary Arts Programs:
- The Diploma in Culinary Arts and Operations program requires 59 quarter credits, 890 clock hours, and 60 weeks to complete.
- The Associate of Occupational Studies Degree in Culinary Arts requires 90 quarter credits, 1340 clock hours, and 60 weeks to complete.
Pastry Arts Programs:
- The Diploma in Professional Pastry Arts program requires 52 quarter credits, 745 clock hours, and 60 weeks to complete.
- The Associate of Occupational Studies Degree in Baking and Pastry requires 90 quarter credits, 1340 clock hours, and 60 weeks to complete.
Plant-Based Culinary Arts Programs:
- The Diploma in Plant-Based Culinary Arts program requires 59 quarter credits, 880 clock hours, and 60 weeks to complete.
- The Associate of Occupational Studies Degree in Plant-Based Culinary Arts requires 90 quarter credits, 1290 clock hours, and 42 weeks to complete.
Holistic Nutrition & Wellness Programs:
- The Diploma in Holistic Nutrition and Wellness program requires 59 quarter credits, 820 clock hours, and 60 weeks to complete.
- The Associate of Occupational Studies Degree in Holistic Nutrition and Wellness requires 90 quarter credits, 1230 clock hours, and 84 weeks to complete.
Hospitality and Restaurant Operations Management Program:
- The Associate of Occupational Studies Degree in Hospitality and Restaurant Operations Management requires 90 quarter credits, 1340 clock hours, and 60 weeks to complete.
Learn more about the programs available at our college.
How much do the online programs cost?
The tuition and fees for the online programs are as follows:
Culinary Arts Programs:
- Diploma in Culinary Arts and Operations: $20,439*
- The Associate of Occupational Studies Degree in Culinary Arts: $31,255*
Pastry Arts Programs:
- Diploma in Professional Pastry Arts: $18,905*
- Associate of Occupational Studies Degree in Baking and Pastry: $28,825*
Plant-Based Culinary Arts Programs:
- Diploma in Plant-Based Culinary Arts: $20,498*
- Associate of Occupational Studies Degree in Plant-Based Culinary Arts: $31,255*
Holistic Nutrition and Wellness Programs:
- Diploma in Holistic Nutrition and Wellness: $20,498*
- Associate of Occupational Studies Degree in Holistic Nutrition and Wellness: $31,255*
Hospitality & Restaurant Operations Management Program:
- Associate of Occupational Studies Degree in Hospitality and Restaurant Operations Management: $31,255*
*Includes the $25 application fee. Students may use their own computer, or they may purchase a Chromebook for an additional $250 technology fee.
Is financial aid available?
Federal Financial Aid is available for those who apply and qualify. Our Financial Aid department will work with you to determine your eligibility, and if you qualify for grants or federally-backed loans. In 2019, 90.2% of students enrolled in the Boulder Residential or Online Programs received financial aid*.
Veterans and military personnel have additional options for financial aid, should they qualify, including institutional grants, Veteran Educational Benefits, and MYCAA scholarship that provides spousal education assistance.
*College Navigator, National Center for Education Statistics
Is Auguste Escoffier School of Culinary Arts accredited?
Our online programs are available through our Boulder campus. Auguste Escoffier School of Culinary Arts in Boulder, Colorado is nationally accredited by the Accrediting Council for Continuing Education and Training (ACCET). Learn more about our accreditations and industry memberships.
How long has Auguste Escoffier School of Culinary Arts been around?
The Cooking School of the Rockies, founded in September 1991, changed its name to Culinary School of the Rockies in 2003, and in 2011, the name was changed to Auguste Escoffier School of Culinary Arts. Online distance learning for the Culinary Arts and Pastry Arts programs were added in 2015.
What is college graduation like for Escoffier’s online programs?
Escoffier offers a typical graduation celebration with guest speakers and speeches from students who graduated with honors. You are welcome to attend the graduation ceremony at our Boulder, Colorado, campus, with your friends and family, or watch the live stream event online.
I’m not very comfortable with technology. Is technical support available?
No special technical skills are required to participate in the online programs. Technical support is available from our help site or by calling our support team at 1-877-224-8576.
Don't see what you're looking for?
Or call 1-877-452-5489